Monday, October 24, 2011

Grandpa Durex




My 91 year old Grandfather passed away peacefully in his home on Sept. 27, 2011. He was one of my very favorite people and I will miss him. I was able to attend the funeral in Utah over General Conference weekend (also my birthday). James was sick so he stayed home with the kids. It was great to see my Dad, Jody, my Aunt and my brothers and sister. In addition, my Great Uncle Barre (my Grandfather's brother) was able to be there. It was a treat for me to spend some time with him. We had a really nice time together and although Durex will be greatly missed by all of us, we know he is with his sweetheart, 2 of his children, his sister and parents, so there is great comfort in that. He lived a life full of service to others, he was a great example to me. Because of his military service he received a full military funeral. Normally they only have a few guys show up for funerals, but there were over a dozen retired or current service men there to honor my Grandfather. Apparently when word got out that the service was for Rex Barrett, they all came. There were 3 buglers as well which as super neat. The fall colors came late this year in Northern Utah so they were at peak that weekend, just for me. I felt very blessed. It was an honor to speak at my Grandfather's funeral, although harder than I had expected. I am especially grateful for the time we were able to spend together this summer, I will always be glad I went to Utah to see him this summer. I am so grateful for the influence he had on me and the love I felt from him.

No comments: